ITALY / Florence: Australia will be guest nation on the occasion of Pitti Uomo 92
May 03 2017
The Fondazione Pitti Immagine Discovery announced that Australia will be the guest nation. Thanks to the collaboration with The Woolmark Company, the global authority on wool, seven talents of Australia’s fashion industry will show in Florence on the occasion of Pitti Immagine Uomo, scheduled from the 13th to the 16th of June 2017. The focus will be on the young designers’ collections selected by the Australian Fashion Chamber, presented at the Fortezza da Basso, inside the special area called Spazio Carra, in the central pavilion downstairs.
“We are honoured to present the special showcase Guest Nation Australia at the next edition of Pitti Uomo” – said Andrea Cavicchi, President of Fondazione Pitti Immagine Discovery. “Our aim is to promote and enhance cultural research and artistic endeavors, highlighting those areas where fashion finds its creative inspiration and form of experimentation. Australia is becoming one of the most interesting - and quickly growing - places in fashion and creativity today: that’s why we decided to dedicate a Guest Nation project to this country”.
“We have been strengthening our relations with Australia for a while working closely with the Australian institutions promoting fashion abroad” added instead Raffaello Napoleone, Managing Director of Pitti Immagine. “We want to highlight the essence of Australian design and lifestyle, with a selection of cutting edge fashion designers and brands, within a global platform as Pitti Uomo”.
“The Woolmark Company provided each of the seven designers with introductions to the Merino wool supply chain,” explained Stuart McCullough, Managing Director of The Woolmark Company. “This is a wonderful opportunity for the designers and spotlights the Merino wool fibre within one of the most important forum’s for men’s fashion in the world.”
A series of prominent designers will be under the spotlights of the Tuscan kermesse.
- Chris Ran Lin founded by its homonymous Chinese designer
- Commas, a luxury swimwear label created in 2016 by Richard Jarman
- Double Rainbouu, a beach and resort wear brand founded in January 2016 by Toby Jones and Mikey Nolan, former art and creative directors at cult denim label Ksubi
- EX Infinitas, the luxury brand inspired by the 70s surf culture founded by the Australian designer Lukas Vincent (winner of the International Woolmark Prize Australia 2016)
- Sener Besim, an iconoclastic collection of eyewear launched by the Turkish and Albanian Sener Besim
- Strateas.Carlucci, the result of the creative collaboration between the Australian designers Peter Strateas and Mario-Luca Carlucci who debuted in the Milan Moda Men’s calendar last June
- Ten Pieces, the streetwear agender brand based on the Japanese punk created in 2015 by Maurice Terzini together with Lucy Hinckfuss (its collections include ten limited edition pieces).
Each designer created the collections utilising Australian Merino wool, highlighting the adaptability of Merino wool and its suitability for all climates.
In addition to the designer's work there will be a photographic and digital exhibition by iconic Australian photographer Bartolomeo Celestino.
Pitti Immagine Uomo 92°
from June 13 to 16 2017
all venues open 9.00am to 6.00pm
Fortezza da Basso
v.le F. Strozzi 1