EVRNU makes Stella Mc Cartney and Adidas' new biodegradable line
by Modem – Posted July 23 2019
© Modem

EVRNU pronounced « Ever-New » is a textile technology start-up turning second hand garments into recyclable fabric. It was founded by Stacy Flynn and Christo Stanev..

Stacy Flynn, CEO of EVRNU, explains that while working for a Seattle-based startup that recycled polyester for use in clothing in China she realized “how damaging the fashion industry is to the environment and people living in that environment”. She then decided to get an MBA in sustainable systems which led her to founding EVRNU in 2014.

Since 2014, she has made several partnerships with brands such as Levis. More and more fashion brands are on the lookout for making their clothes sustainable such as Stella Mc Cartney who reacted similarly to Stacy Flynn :

“Fashion is one of the most harmful industries to the environment. We can’t wait any longer to search for answers and alternatives. By creating a truly open approach to solving the problem of textile waste, we can help empower the industry at large to bring more sustainable practices into reality. With Adidas by Stella McCartney we’re creating high performance products that also safeguard the future of the planet.”

Recently, Stella McCartney and Adidas designed two prototypes: a biodegradable tennis dress and the world’s first fully recyclable hoodie thanks to EVRNU’s innovating technology.

The hoodie is made out of 60% nucycl fibre, a material made using the threads of used clothes. These threads were reduced to liquid pulp before being processed through a 3D-printer to create a new yarn. The other 40% are composed of recycled yarn and organic cotton. This makes the original fabric stronger and more durable.

The second garment, the biofabric tennis dress is also fully biodegradable as it is made out of a blended yarn and microsilk, a protein-based material that is made with renewable ingredients, like water, sugar, and yeast.

Currently, only VIP and influencers were gifted these planet friendly garments. [red]Stacy Flynn hopes to "get out of prototyping" by the end of 2019 and wants to create partnerships with more fashion brands[/red]

These new ways of making clothes can save a lot of energy, water especially, and production costs for the fashion industry. Many foundations are in the process of promoting changes such as the Ellen McArthur foundation or the H&M Global Foundation, awarding new innovative ways of making garments each year, but when will sustainable productions cease to be exceptional events to become standard and normal?

© Modem